Eunan’s College, Letterkenny 0-1 The Bish, Galway

Footballing pedigree was on show at The Showgrounds as the young boys from The Bish maintained the excellent record the Galway School has in local soccer. Following on from their predecessors last year, this time the Bish 1st years have gone one step further and qualified for the All Ireland Final on 25th May.

Conditions were perfect for a thoroughly entertaining match which was contested brilliantly by both teams. Possession in the first half was evenly matched, with the Bish coming out with the best opportunities. In what was their sole opportunity of the first half, Eunans failed to beat the brilliant Bish keeper James Grealis who pulled off a fantastic save late on. With the ball seemingly sailing into the top right corner, James was acrobatical in his movement. Solid defensive displays from Tommy McClean and Bobby Keane ensured Eunans drew a blank in the first half. Despite, excellent play down the wing from Joe Hynes and inch perfect crosses, the Bish failed to make the pressure pay off. Both teams went in 0-0 at half time.

Buoyed by the travelling Bish support, who reinforced their intense pride and spirit for the school and their team with fantastic chants for their players with frequent noise from the often criticised vuvuzela the Bish went up a gear in the second half. Star of the Connacht Final, Gary Kineen was on fire from the start of thehalf. Some excellent inter change down the left wing between Gary and Ben Brennan ensured the Bish mounted pressure throughout. As the attacks mounted and the pressure increased, the Bish finally found the breakthrough from Captain Conor Melody. Some tough tackling in the centre of the pitch from Michael Costello ensured the ball broke to Conor who turned no less than 3 players in the box before finishing with his left foot into the top corner.  Eunans were being asked questions throughout and although efforts were increased on their part after conceding, they found it hard to break down the solid set up of the Bish team. They often resorted to playing the long ball over the top, but that rarely unsettled the Bish defence.

As the second half continued and with growing confidence from the goal, the Bish hit the crossbar on two occasions after great work down the right by Joe Hynes. The first cross was met by the head of Joshua Marvesley who diverted it onto the bar and a second shot a few minutes later by Conor Melody also hit the bar. Despite the increasing pressure and a very late attack from Joe Hynes who cut in from the left, Eunans managed to hold the Bish at bay and the final score was Eunans 0-1 Bish.

With Connacht gold medals in their back pockets and a swash buckling display of true football potential, few would bet against the boys from the Bish returning in 2 weeks time as men who won Ireland.

© 2016 St. Joseph’s College. All Rights Reserved | Staff | Privacy PolicyVSWare Login