Bish Junior Soccer Team win U17 'A' All Ireland Final

11080705 855059044550339 6736803483045263312 o

The Bish won the All Ireland U17 'A' Final in Limerick on 19th March 2015. The game went down to penalties. The Bish won 4-3 on penalties. Goalkeeper Mark Walsh made two brilliant saves.



The Bish secured their place in a second All Ireland 'A' soccer final this year against Colaiste Choilm Ballincollig when John Loughlin's men defeated St Columba's College Stranorlar in Sligo on 5th March 2015 by a scoreline of 1-0. Match report to follow. This was to add to their impressive Connacht Title win.  CHECK OUT FAIS REPORT ON BOTH SEMI-FINALS HERE




The Bish U17 soccer squad retained their U17 Tom Ticher Connacht Title with a convincing 3-1 win over the Presentation College, Athenry.


The early part of the game was a tight affair with neither team given much space or time on the ball. However, it was Athenry who struck first from a corner with a header well placed into the corner. It was the wake-up call the Bish needed. They immediately went on the offensive with attack after attack.


Jack Coyne was instrumental in many of these attacks and he won a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area on the half hour mark. Ross Murphy (captain) stepped up to take the free-kick. It was a fierce curling ball that the Athenry keeper could only parry. Ross Medley was quick off the mark to catch the parry first time and strike the ball home to level the match.


 Into the second half, the Bish kept up the pressure and were the better side throughout piling the pressure on the Athnery back four and distributing the ball around with confidence. Once again Jack Coyne, having been pinned back for much of the first half, started to move forward and won the ball high up the pitch on the 60th minute. He was given space and time and hit a rasping shot from the edge of the box. It bounced just in front of the Athenry keeper who mis-timed his save and the ball bounced into the back of the net.


At this stage the Bish were well on top. With 15 minutes remaining, Jack Dwyer came on for Thomas Lydon - who had put in a great effort on the left wing. It was a straight swap and Jack, with fresh legs, tested the Athenry defence with some great runs. It eventually paid off when a great ball from Ross Murphy over the top of the Athenry back four was met by Jack who took the ball down and hammered it home to make it 3-1.


The Bish held on comfortably to the final whistle despite a couple of Athenry attacks in the final moments of the match to become the Tom Ticher Connacht Champions once again.


They now go on to face St. Columba's College of Stranorlar, Co. Donegal in the All-Ireland semi-final to be held in Sligo's Ray McSharry Park this Thursday. Kick-off 1 pm.


Best of luck to the team!


© 2016 St. Joseph’s College. All Rights Reserved | Staff | Privacy PolicyVSWare Login