1st Year Soccer report 2012


Overall it was a good year for first year soccer but we are aware we have plenty of things to work on for our second year competition.

Our season kicked off with game against Aloysius which proved to be a very tight encounter and despite our best efforts and goals coming from Jack Coyne and Conor Keenan, it finished with a 2-2 draw in the end.

Our second match was the local derby with St. Marys College and knowing we needed a win, we went in determined to come out on top. Poor weather around Galway limited the pitches available to us. Despite it being a home game for The Bish, the best available pitch was in Oranmore. Thankfully, this didn’t prevent us from a strong performance and a dominating scoreline of 6-1 to the Bish. Goalscorers on the day were Jack Coyne x 3, Matthew Kilgannon, Luke Byrnes and Shane Moylan.

 In our third game we played Headford in Drom. After a poor start we had it all to do in the second half, but we proved we were the better side with the full-time score of 5-2 with three goals coming from the ever present Jack Coyne and two from Luke Byrnes.

The win against Headford guaranteed us a spot in the Connacht semi-final where we faced St Geralds in Castlebar in what proved to be our toughest game yet. With the game finishing 0-0, we knew we had to dig deep if we wanted to book our place in the final. We clinched our first goal towards the end of the first half of extra time with a tremendous strike from Andrei Barcovschi. The second half arrived along with our second goal from Jack Coyne. Although Geralds did pull one back late in extra time, it wasn’t enough to stop the Bish boys progressing to their third First Year Connacht Final in as many years.

Rice College, Westport were our opponents in the final which was held in Terryland Park. We started off well in our bid for Connacht cup glory when Eoin O Donovan set up Jack Coyne to put us ahead. Unfortunately this was not enough as Westport came back with a goal from a header just before half time. The second half was a tough battle with the two sides really pushing for a second goal, but in the end Westport proved they had the edge clinching the win with a goal ten minutes from full-time.

We would like to thank our coaches Mr. O’Donnell and the evergreen Mr Kelly for all their hard-work and dedication throughout the year and hopefully we’ll go further next year.

By David Carter (301)

© 2016 St. Joseph’s College. All Rights Reserved | Staff | Privacy PolicyVSWare Login